Saturday, 5 October 2013

Flesh & Buns

S'mores 'n Sushi

Welcome to the much talked of Flesh & Buns. It's all in the name and certainly doesn't disappoint. Soft, fluffy hirata buns and juicy steak oozing with hoi sin sauce is not something I was going to pass up in a hurry!
  

It was a horrifically wet and rainy day so of course we decided to sneak inside at the more unconventional lunch time of 3oclock to escape England at its most conventional.
   

We had a rapid glance at the menu outside but truth be told, the decision had already been made since I have been itching to visit Bone Daddies younger sibling for a while.


Inside and down the stairs we found a long table in the centre of the room which a few hours earlier would have been jam packed full of eager beavers. Depending on how much elbow room you prefer and how awkward you want your date to be, choose your dining time wisely. 

Silver metal beakers were filled with icy cold water in front of us. I'm not entirely sure whether I'm a fan of drinking out of my toothbrush cup but it was very shiny and I appreciate shiny. 


Say hello to a little tiny teapot, or in this case a little tiny sauce pot!


First to arrive were yakitori chicken skewers which were deliciously crispy, full of flavour and dusted with shichimi pepper.


Next to the table were these little mounds of perfection; spicy tuna and salmon avocado rolls. Don't they look utterly mouthwatering on the turquoise plate?


Now for the signature item on the menu. The flesh and the buns.


The steamed buns were fluffy and light and the juicy steak was perfectly cooked and complimented by the tangy red onion pickle.


We ladened the buns with the steak, lettuce, sauce and onion and proceeded to guzzle them down. 'Phwoar' is a highly appropriate word in this instance and reflects the taste completely! This is a new take on the sandwich that I could totally get on board with. 

Penny agreed and the customary action shot had to be taken! Before we even finished our meal we were planning our next visit.

Our sticky fingers were overjoyed when this little bucket of hand towels arrived.

And so it was on with dessert. Having heard rumours of the s'mores, we ignored our already well-filled stomachs and decided to share this novel idea.

Along came our very own marshmallow burner where we could toast to our hearts delight.

Burning my marshmallow to charcoal is normally the route I take when given the option, but this time I decided to er on the edge of caution and take it slow!

My self control and lack of burn made me quite excited!


We sandwiched the marshmallow between two wafer thin crackers along with a slab of green tea chocolate. This instantly melted and we just about managed to eat our creations without too much ending up all over our faces and hands. 

A delightful trip to say the least and definitely one of the best and most entertaining meals I've eaten in London so far! Two thumbs up and a five star rating from The Little Brown Book.



Flesh and Buns on Urbanspoon

Square Meal

Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments :

  1. I keep hearing so many great things of this place, and your smiles totally sell it to me!
    The whole flesh + bun concept sounds so simple yet looks utterly delicious.
    You & Penny are looking jaw-drop stunning as ever
    x x x
    The Lobster & Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a tasty meal - love the range of food you seemed to get as well!
    Charlotte x
    La Vie en Gâteaux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I'm going to have to return just to check I didn't miss anything ;)
      x

      Delete
  3. I didn't have the marshmallows when I went but I wish I had! Not quite sure how I missed them. My fave was the soft shell crab....yumyumyum.

    Great photos! Made me hungry...

    Cx
    Cocktails and Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Flesh and Buns!! The smores are delish!!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. every trip to london means a trip to bone daddies for me - now i'm so keen to try these buns! that marshmallow looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog ella! thanks for visiting mine! :) Fantastic photos! on it like sonic to join triptease

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went here writing this review next!

    Your pics are so much better than mine I need to step up my pic taking game...

    ReplyDelete