Monday, 2 December 2013

The Pig and Butcher

The Perfect Roast. 

Prepare yourselves. Apparently England is about to encounter its longest winter in history. Do not fear .. (well, fear a little bit) .. because one thing that London will offer like no other place can, is an abundance of cosy taverns to shield you from the biting cold. On this crisp Tuesday morning, the first thing you should do is book a table aThe Pig and Butcher in Islington for your next lazy weekend. Go on, roast yourself!

Having walked past The Pig and Butcher many a time on my Islington jaunts and hearing such glowing reports, I was grinning at the prospect of actually entering the door.

Arriving early, I soaked in the wonderful gastopubby atmosphere and had a good old chat with Jack the director about the inspired idea of having their butchering site just above the pub. No danger of running out of meat in this joint! After secretly admiring the brilliantly flowery shirt he was sporting, I saw my companions enter and engaged in all the conventional hugging and cheek pecking before taking my seat.


No fuss here. Great meaty menu, salt, pepper, water, knife, fork, go.

Peering through into the neighbouring room, I noticed a rather extensive selection of beer and cider that I'm sure would have engaged any ale enthusiast. Hunter the Bull stood with his head firmly rammed through the wall, amazingly crafted out of branches and twine. Apparently he is soon to be joined by an accompanying pig.



The shelf behind me was adorned with bottles, jars, boxes and other rustic artefacts. Oh I do love a place with artefacts!

We ordered the lamb roast which arrived with a monster yorkshire pudding balancing atop the steaming, perfectly pink meat and drenched in just the right amount of gravy. Accompanying these beautiful slices of animal (yes, that is now how we refer to roast lamb), were golden, crispy roast potatoes and creamy leeks. I must now apologise because in all the excitement I failed to get any pictures. So here is another one of the menu, just incase you forgot.

Sufficiently stuffed, the only thing to do was order all the dessert.

My winter fruit crumble arrived in the cutest miniature frying pan with a scoop of vanilla pod ice cream. The tangy fruit to sweet, crunchy crumble ratio was perfect and before long the pan was scraped clean.


The sticky toffee and banana pudding was also inhaled with gusto by another member of my party. Banana and me are not friends so there was no food envy here but I have it on very good authority that it was a delight.



Our bill arrived inside a polka dot jam jar and we bid goodbye to this victorious Sunday roastery. Now it's your turn!


 Pig and Butcher on Urbanspoon
Square Meal
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments :

  1. Great post! I LOVE The Pig and Butcher! When I went a few weeks ago I ordered the beef roast and a side of pulled pork,YUM it was the icing on the cake :) It's up there with my top 5. The Crown Tavern on Clerkenwell Green is a strong contender too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah YES! I love Sunday lunch recommendations :) scribbling The Crown Tavern into my diary right now. Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh that looks like an ideal location for a cozy sunday lunch! Giant yorky puds are bound to win anyone over x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could basically have fitted my entire face into the centre of this immense yorkshire .. when you're next in London we shall go. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow that crumble looks AMAZING! And I love your way of writing down your adventures xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted just as great as it looks! Thanks for reading :) .. such a backlog of adventures to share! x

      Delete
  4. I gotta try that restaurant out... it's right around the corner from me!

    http://teamstarnestakeslondon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete